What is Prolotherapy?
Prolotherapy is a recognised orthopaedic treatment that helps to stimulate the body’s natural healing process to create collagen naturally, strengthen weakened joints and provide rapid relief of chronic pain associated with post surgery, injury and long-term inflammatory process.
The effectiveness of Prolotherapy is wide-raging and it can be used to treat many musculoskeletal conditions including: Back Pain, Neck Pain, Knee Pain, Where ligaments, tendons or disc are torn or worn, Arthritis, Migraines, Fibromyalgia, Sacroiliac Sprain, Scoliosis, Sciatica, Tennis Elbow, Foot and Heel Pain.
How Does Prolotherapy Work?
- Ozone/oxygen or other natural substances such as Vitamin D, Glucosamine sulphate, magnesium, or a combination, are injected at the site of torn, over stretched or fibrous ligament or tendon.
- Prolotherapy creates a mild stimulus to activate the body’s natural healing mechanisms to generate new tissue on the weakened affected area. The mild inflammatory response that is created encourages growth of new ligament or tendon fibres, resulting in the tightening and strengthening of weakened structure.
- Additional treatments repeat this process allowing a gradual build-up of tissue to restore the original strength to the affected area.
How Many Treatments Are Needed?
- The number of treatments needed to achieve complete healing varies with each patient. The average person requires 3 to 6 treatment sessions given at 1 to 2 week intervals.
- Most people understand conceptually that if you injure a structure in a joint that over time that injury will affect all the structures of the joint.
- Most patients come to see a Prolotherapy therapist after having pain for at least several years. What may have started out as a simple ligament sprain, after 3-6 years is now a total joint problem.
- All the structures of the joint and around the joint (or at least the majority of them) must be treated with Prolotherapy to completely alleviate the pain. Therefore it is important for a patient to find a therapist who provides Comprehensive Prolotherapy.
How Do We Treat Your Conditions?
Following consultation to access the individual conditions, a programme of treatment will be outlined and discussed. Where necessary, MRI, x-ray, or ultrasound scans may be indicated. These can be arranged by the clinic.
For more detailed information on Prolotherapy, please